Submitted by Sandy Johnson
Extension Council Member, St. Charles County


 The Mole Man

 In our neighborhood, my husband Bill is known as the “Mole Man”. Our homeowner’s board offered us the option of engaging a critter-catcher service to deal with our mole infestation at the cost of $75 per captured mole. Bill decided that was a hefty price to pay for such a tiny creature.

After researching mole traps, he purchased several of them to use for our yard in lieu of using the service. At first, he used them only for us, but he soon had requests from neighbors to extend the service. He now surveys the yards near ours from our backyard deck for signs of moles and places traps whenever he’s asked. We can’t even imagine how much money he has saved us and our neighbors!


When Push Comes to Shove

 

My daughter was visiting from Seattle. Her son was a recent college graduate and had landed a job at a financial firm in Clayton. She was here helping him get settled and find a different car, since the one they had bought him as a graduation present was proving to be a lemon.

She was coming to my house for a quick visit and driving his car. Just as she turned in to my street, the car stopped completely! She called me and I walked down to the gate. When I arrived, I found my neighbor talking to her. He lives on the corner, and her car was blocking his way home. Being the resourceful guy he is, he had come in using the “out” side of the street.

After some discussion, we all decided to try to get the car out of the way and into the fire station next door. With me steering and the two of them pushing, we maneuvered the car into place at the station, out of the way of the emergency vehicles.

It turned out that the car had completely given up – the timing chain was broken and it needed extensive repair. Thanks to my neighbor, my daughter was safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEIGHBORS HELPING NEIGHBORS

BIRTHDAY PARTY IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD