COINCIDENTAL OPPORTUNITY TO BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR IN A WEATHER CRISIS


COINCIDENTAL OPPORTUNITY TO BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR IN A WEATHER CRISIS

DEANAOn January 8, 2024, it began snowing late afternoon in St. Charles and Warren Counties. On my way home, traffic was heavy and slow on Hwy 40 and 70. At Foristell, I exited the interstate in hopes that there would be fewer vehicles on the service road. (not trying to go faster, just to be with fewer vehicles). The road was snow-covered and it was hard to tell where the shoulder was, and of course, SLICK. A truck in front of me and one other car skidded into a ditch, The car between us skidded to the left and headfirst into the ditch. The pick-up truck driver used my phone to call his dad, and the car to the left approached us both. Turns out, it was Robert and Betty, friends who live 4 miles from me. Other cars continued to traverse the service passing me while I was communicating with the stranded drivers. It was scary given the risk of any of them sliding into the already crashed cars and their drivers out of the cars.

Bob asked me to take Betty home. After she got in my car we traveled towards home. She informed me Bob did not have his cell phone with him. When we got to Bob & Betty's road, I encountered a steep hill." Betty continually prayed enthusiastically, "God, give this car a push and get us up this hill."  Every time she prayed this message, the car gained a little traction and moved upwards. We got to her home, and shortly after I was in mine, following a slippery trip downhill and out onto the county road to get home. 

I called 911 to report Robert's car in the ditch and that he had no way to communicate. Warren County Joint Communications and Wentzville PD shared the information with Wentzville PD, Foristell PD, Wright City PD, Warrenton PD, and the Warren County Sheriff's Department. The dispatchers and officers called a few times to ascertain his exact location. When they did not find him in the ditch, they found him via an intersection camera in Wright City. They did not stop searching until they located him at home. Dispatch called me to notify me when they determined he was at home. This collaboration between police officers and police dispatchers demonstrates their commitment and is a perfect example of neighboring beyond the scope of one's neighborhood. 

January 9, 2024 - Sharing a social media post from Betty with her permission:

BETTY: We were on our way home from an appointment in St. Charles when we got caught in terrible snow last night, Jan 8. I got off 70 onto the outer road because 70 was just crazy. I was doing fine at about 30mph with very little traffic. Then I had to swerve to miss a car on the side of the road and I began sliding every way. I ended up in the ditch on the other side across from the first car.
Deana Dothage happened to come by and drove me home and Robert stayed with the car. When I got home, I called AAA and they said to call 911, so I did.
Hours later Robert walked in the door looking like death warmed over. Someone came and helped him get the car out of the ditch. He could not get the car up our hill; it slid back down and into a tree. He walked all the way home from there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He fell many times. His legs and knees are a mess with cuts and bruises.
I called our insurance company again and they again told me to call 911. It took until after noontime today before they came to tow away my car.
My 2011 Prius had never ever had a single problem at all until last night. It is the best car I ever had!
God bless you!
Betty

Copied from post comments:

Deana Tucker Dothage
Glad I was at the right place right time. Sorry Bob had such a rough way to go.
2
  • Like
  • Reply
Betty: Deana Tucker Dothage God bless you for all you did for us. You are an Angel that God sent along to me just at the right time. I can't begin to thank you enough for your help of a ride and your phone calls and consoling words.
  • Love
  • Reply
Deana Tucker Dothage
Betty: Thank you. Let me know if you and Bob need anything. I’m not far.
  • Like
  • Reply

Betty:  Deana Tucker Dothage You are such a dear, sweet person. I have always loved you from the first time we met. You put what is right ahead of other things in your life, and I like that about you. You are one of God's gems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEIGHBORS HELPING NEIGHBORS

BIRTHDAY PARTY IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD