PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY DOG LEADS TO A FRIENDSHIP OF YOUNG & OLD

 

Hannah

This week, a visiting guest offered to bring my Beagle Hannah from the backyard kennel into the house for the night. When the guest opened the gate, Hannah took advantage of the opportunity for an evening run. 

While looking for Hannah, I noticed a young neighbor in the front yard of his parents' house. I walked across and down the street to ask him to watch for Hannah and let me know if he saw her. He kindly agreed and offered to look for her. 

Two hours later, Hannah arrived at the front door and was welcomed inside with a treat. Later that evening, the doorbell rang. On the front porch was the neighbor, who introduced himself. He asked if Hannah had returned because if not, he was going to walk through the neighborhood to find her. I thanked him and showed him that Hannah was home. 

His family moved into our neighborhood in the fall of 2023. I had met him once and spoken with his parents a few times, but I didn't know them well. I stepped outside, and "R" and I introduced ourselves. We began talking about our mutual love of dogs. Hannah joined us, attached to a dog run near our chairs. We learned a lot about each other, our work, our hobbies, and our families. 

We talked about losses that we had recently experienced in our families. Two people who barely knew each other opened up about the family tragedies, our feelings, and our abilities and efforts to cope and stay strong through the grieving and healing process. During this conversation, we discovered similarities in events that have occurred in our lives. 

"R" showed me pictures of his new son and how excited he was to be a father. He asked if he could bring his girlfriend and son over soon to meet me. It made me happy to see a new father so excited about his family and his role in his son's life. 

"R" told me he hoped to get to know some other neighbors soon. I explained that a majority of the people on our street are 60 and above. I promised that I would soon have a block party/BBQ on my front lawn. It will be the 2nd one, following a September 2023 birthday party. 

This time, I'm glad Hannah escaped and created an opportunity for me to meet someone. Our conversation was good for both of us. We talked about opportunities to help each other and nearby neighbors. We exchanged phone numbers with offers to text if you need anything.

My job involves promoting neighboring. It's fun to talk about it and offer ideas to the general public on its value and how to initiate it. Experiencing it myself spontaneously fills my heart. 

Deana Tucker Dothage
MU Extension, St. Charles County
260 Brown Road, St. Peters, MO 63376

dothaged@missouri.edu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEIGHBORS HELPING NEIGHBORS

BIRTHDAY PARTY IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD