HI. I’M DEANA TUCKER. I’M 5 YEARS OLD AND I AM GOING TO BE YOUR FRIEND.

Almost 60 years ago, my mom and I went to Forest Laundromat in St. Charles, MO. The owner, Edna Smith, greeted and welcomed us. We were new to the community and new customers.  I loved Edna on site. I returned her greeting, “Hi, I’m Deana and I’m 5 years old. I’m going to be your friend.”

We did become friends.  Her husband Henry and her son Mark become lifelong friends of the family. My mom and I were at their funerals and Mark recently was present during my mom’s Celebration of Life. 

Until Henry and Edna’s deaths, my childhood photos were on their refrigerator alongside family photos. Mark and my brother Mark were close friends until my brother’s death. 

My mom worked part time in the laundromat. We boated with them and enjoyed many river sandbar picnics. As a new teen driver I often visited Edna and Henry for advice. They were mentors and bonus parents. 💗

They lived and worked 8 blocks away from us until we moved a few miles away. This family taught me about neighboring, friendship, love, work ethic, kindness, generosity, loyalty and respect. 

Today my Extension Regional Director mentioned my ability to greet and connect with strangers. At 5, I was eager to make friends. In my teens shyness prevailed. By my 20’s my outgoing personality returned. Jody, I’m grateful that your observation reminded me of people that I love. 💗 

The gift of wanting to know people and learning of their experiences serves me well personally and professionally. I love to connect people to people and people to resources. 

Imagine what life could look like when you initiate an encounter with neighbors. It opens your horizons in ways you never imagined. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEIGHBORS HELPING NEIGHBORS

CHILDHOOD NEIGHBOR, LIFELONG FRIEND - THE VALUE OF NEIGHBORING